Original article can be found here (source): Artificial Intelligence on Medium
Afraid of Technology Taking Your Job Away? (Build AI in Your Garage Tonight)
Afraid of tech taking your job away?
Maybe you’re heard of artificial intelligence and are worried that the speed of tech will be swift and leave you behind. Well, you won’t be worried after reading this article, because you will discover 7 ways to join the coming tech revolution.
Were going to show you how to start building and working with cutting edge tech at home (or in your very own garage) tonight.
Let’s start with one of the most fearsome phrase coming from the world of ‘emerging technologies’ “artificial intelligence”.
What is AI it and why does it matter so much?
Likely you have heard of the phrase AI, and you’re going to hear more about it from companies like Amazon, Uber and Google.
Let’s start with, simplify that Artificial Intelligence technology, is often shortened to ‘AI’. And it’s simply the simulation of human intelligence by using computer programming.
Is it really that simple?
What are some examples of AI slipping into our lives?
Examples o f AI:
• Computers/Phones; Have you ever used iPhone’s Siri? Siri is a built-in app that can help the user with tasks. Such as web searches, making calls and setting calendar reminders. Or how about Cortana? Cortana is another virtual personal assistant, which can help you accomplish tasks just like Siri does. And then there is the Amazon Echo. Which, is much like the other two, however each program has their own flaws and strengths.
• Video Games; Have you ever played ‘Far Cry’ or ‘Call of Duty’? Then you’ve played against AI. AI in a game can be seen in a shooting game for example. The AI algorithm (FSM is the math behind AI) or computer character attacks when a computer player shows up for instance in a room of a house and may even attack aggressively when the human characters health is low and then the computers character would retreat when its own health level is too low. Simulating real human behavior.
• Smart Cars; I’m sure your intrigued with the thought of not having to drive in big city traffic. Instead once AI is fully developed and integrated you will be able to go to sleep, or watch a movie with full confidence that the car WILL not permit you to get into an accident at any speed.
• Fraud Detection; with 57.1% of the world on the internet, needing to protect yourself from fraud will only grow. Fraud schemes have cost $16 Billion between fraud and identity theft and its exploding. Identity theft; 49%, hacking 45 percent, employee-agent 37 percent and claims 34 percent. (LexisNexis, June 2016)
• News Generation; Ask yourself where do I get my news? Maybe you watch TV, or do you still read a newspaper. Make no mistake with the large volume of news events the anchor news agencies need to find and sort through the incoming reports. Then filter them to each user according to their interests. AI, makes that happen, and the consumer is none the wiser, and is just happy to get the news they want when they want it.
• Security; 70% of organizations report having been compromised by a successful cyber attack in the last 12 months. At this rate this is going to be huge business opportunity throughout the next 20+ years. Because as soon as someone creates a new way to lock something up, someone else finds a way to break into it.
• Music/Video Suggestions; much like news aggregation. Music and movie suggestions that are sorted to your likes are currently being used. For example; Pandora and or Amazon Prime. They track your purchases and offer suggestions of other purchases you might like. In addition, they share what others who have made the same purchase watched or listened to next.
Does anyone even know anything about the AI technology?
It’s incredible just how oblivious we all are to the dynamic growth of AI.
If you’re like most of us, we’ve become oblivious to the onslaught of new technology, it just seems to be too many new words and too complicated tech to understand in today’s bite size media blurbs.
And it seems that almost every week, we hear the kids talk about some new tech App or gadget that we haven’t ever heard of. It seems too much to take in.
But just out of curiosity, what does the average person even know about this new tech? And what does the average person think about it?
• 72% say they know what AI is
• 35% are comfortable with it
• 28% are uncomfortable with it
• 37% have no opinion either way
Now if you’re in a stage in life where you are intrigued to join the coming revolution, you’re going to have to become a developer.
A developer is a creator of new hardware and software programs that people can use to improve and change their lives. In short, you’re either a part of the revolution or you’re a consumer on the end of the rope of it.
And as an AI developer you’re going to need to learn to try to understand your user, like a good detective you have to try to get inside the head of your end user.
To begin with you would start by making all your decisions based on the user experience or ‘UX’.
When creating an app, it all starts by creating something that consumers need and or want. That’s also simple to understand and use and delivers instant results.
As a developer you need to clearly understand the true value in AI, and that can be done quickly by understanding a simple algorithm.
Anatomy of the AI Algorithm
For instance; if you were to plan to travel to 10 different cities, but before you left you calculated every path there is to travel to them. Your choices would reveal that you have over 3,628,800 routes.
Think about that, with just 10 variables you have over 3,628,800 routes. That’s incredible, and the clear evidence of the need for AI. Now imagine a software program that can help you whittle through all those variables to capture your personalized choices based on your likes.
The calculation is that for each route, there are 10 possibilities for the first city. And for each of those 10 cities, there are 9 possibilities for the second city. That means there are 10 x 9 = 90 different ways to visit the first two cities. And for each of the two-city paths, there are 8 cities left to visit third, so that gives 90 x 8 = 720 ways to visit three cities.
The calculation continues this way, with 7 choices for the fourth city, 6 for the fifth, and so on, until there is just one city left to visit last.
By sorting through your choices, for example you may to ask yourself if you want to bypass the big cities, and do you want to take the highway. Do you need to make stops along the way, or do you want to use the toll road? As you can see, with a good AI program, you can streamline customized options to your AI program end users.
In short, creating an app that can help someone whittle down the millions of variables would be incredibly useful on the open market.
Why is it a great time to join the AI revolution?
There is a revolution coming, and you have to take sides. You cannot be a deer frozen by the headlights of this coming technological upheaval.
Instead you really must take sides or become a victim. What makes this a no brainer to join the revolution, by becoming a developer is that this an exploding career opportunity, its currently a 641 million-dollar industry as of 2016 and by 2025 its estimated to grow to 35,870 million dollars with a 57.2% yearly growth. If you know anything about the average industry growth from year to year this is huge.
Let’s compare career growth outlooks, for example, according to US News & World Report the top 6 career growth fields are;
1. Dentist — 18%
2. Nurse Practitioner — 35%
3. Physician Assistant — 30%
4. Statistician — 34%
5. Orthodontist — 18%
6. Nurse Anesthetist — 19%
Again, according to Grand View Research, the AI industry is estimated to grow by, 57.2% per year between 2017 and 2025. I felt it was important to reiterate this level of growth as its astronomical compared to every other career field.
If there was ever a perfect time to join it’s at the cutting-edge change and now’s the time to join the ranks of the tech rebels. Think about it this way, imagine you bought 100 shares of Microsoft stock for $21, 25 years ago. It would be worth 3 quarters of a million dollars today.
What’s more exciting is the turn for the better in our economy right now. It’s expected that we could have a 3%-4% national growth over the next 10 years.
And if that isn’t enough to get you to seriously consider joining the AI revolution, then consider the low cost of electronics and that every laptop can now have access to high tech design software programs.
Having both a great economy and easy access to design software happening at the same time is making the timeline from idea generation to a marketable product extremely quick.
Where can you get started building your own AI projects?
Now, on to the best part of this article, let’s go to our benchtop, get out our laptop and get started.
I’m going to share with you some of the best places to go to learn AI and get started developing your own project, this weekend.
Let’s start with some formal classroom options;
1. Udacity — offers some free classes to help you get started. I personally haven’t taken a class here yet. However, they are getting great reviews from everything I’ve read. Based on that, I plan on taking a class next year myself. When I do I will write a review, and share my insights.
2. Udemy — they also offer some courses in AI. I have taken many courses on Udemy and I found the platform easy to work with, and overall a very good investment. A great point is that Udemy’s courses are generally introductory training, most definitely worth the time and cost.
3. Coursera — this is another really good resource to start your AI training. I have taken a course through Coursera, and it also is a great platform to work with. Just type in Artificial Intelligence and you’ll find several courses available. And the cost is reasonable for the value it can bring to your career.
4. Nvidia — here is another resource you can use to build your AI project. They have some interesting online labs for you to work with. And we all know the real-world value of getting hands on experience especially when training for a new career.
Next we can look at some DIY projects;
5. AIY — Do-It-Yourself AI — With their maker kits you can build intelligent systems that see, speak, and understand. You can start tinkering, taking things apart, making things better. Go see what problems you can solve.
6. Hackster.io — 221 Projects — Here you have an enormous library of projects that you can build to test your skill and solve real world problems as well as entertain yourself for hours.
7. MIT App Developer — create your own phone app and share with close friends for feedback and brainstorming. You never know where this might lead you career.
There is an outstanding career outlook for anyone interested in building a high-tech career, and all it takes is joining the revolution by signing up for an introductory course and taking on some DIY projects to explore the possibilities.
The Take Away
With this article we’re hoping we’ve answered some questions, sparked your curiosity and shared some useful information. But, we know you may need more, so we invite you to contact us for some follow up questions or to discuss your unique needs.
Just go to our contact page and reach out to us and we’ll get back to you asap!