Original article was published by Megha S Nair on Artificial Intelligence on Medium
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE _
A BOON OR A BANE
As Elon Musk had stated AI is capable of becoming an immortal dictator that we cannot escape. Most of us already rely on the internet to decide which product to buy, which road to drive, article to read, and so on. The recommendation systems on media platforms escalate the influence of the internet making us victims of digital addiction. the current Netflix sensational documentary “The Social Dilemma” is centered around this theme. “The Social Dilemma” gives us an insight into how social addiction had spread faster than the global pandemic. We can see Vincent Kartheiser acting as an AI model controlling humans on a surveillance platform.
Artificial Intelligence today is properly known as narrow AI where it is designed to perform narrow tasks like facial recognition or driving a car but the long-term goal of many researchers is to create general AI or strong AI. While narrow AI may outperform humans at a specific task general AI would outperform us at every cognitive task. Therefore one should be careful while developing AI as the danger of AI is much greater than the danger of nuclear war
AI is not purely evil, it is like a double-edged sword and with proper care, it can make the world a better place.AI covers a broad spectrum of topics ranging from optimizing farming to diagnosing cancer to controlling the navigation of satellites.
- AI predictions are based on rules and human emotions won’t interfere with these predictions. Often we humans do crazy things as our emotions cloud our judgment
- Autonomous weapons might be able to reduce victims. But this is a controversial topic and require deeper research so that the invention does not go catastrophic
- Since machines won’t get exhausted they can be programmed to do all tedious work. Adopting AI does not mean humans will become unemployed. It means we are taking the aid of a machine that is capable of making decisions based on the data provided
- Weather prediction using AI can give us an insight into extreme climatic events and possible disasters
- Tesla’s autopilot feature aims in reducing accident rates by 45 %. Though accidents can’t be eradicated, it is still preferable
- Virtual assistants like Google Assistant and Alexa can help you check off menial tasks from your to-do list
These are just a few examples of how AI can improve our lives. The advent of digital superintelligence should be symbiotic with humans. Instead of being enslaved by technology, let us be the masters.