Original article was published on Artificial Intelligence on Medium
Attorney Productivity and Billability
Attorneys Recognizing the need to Modernize Legal Sector
Today, most of the legal firms face challenges of eliminating routine work that becomes mundane over some time. Such tasks tend to strip most of the scheduled time away from the actual work reserved for clients.
Employees in a legal firm realize that a significant portion of their time spent on completing redundant as well as administrative and business development tasks.
Many attorneys express their concern for working more than what they planned, as they want to finish up on work that couldn’t get complete during the workday.
Hence there is an increasing need amongst attorneys for modernizing the legal sector and automating routine tasks.
It is common for companies to look for ways to increase their operational efficiency as well as the source of revenue and legal firms are no different.
These firms expect their employees to help bring in more business, which interrupts their daily work routine.
Time is the most crucial billable resource for attorneys, and the time devoted to redundant tasks, including searching documents from DMS, and other data entry tasks are considered non-billable.
Hence attorneys need to overwork as they want to remain available to their clients, which prevents them from concentrating on important and complex tasks.
This need has pushed most attorneys towards finding innovative solutions to deliver enhanced customer experience and generate repeat business.
Challenges Faced by Attorneys in Current Scenario
Changing Legal Landscape
Over the past few years, the legal sector has witnessed the infusion of advanced technological innovations resulting in an enhanced portfolio of legal offerings and several opportunities to grow and expand.
The trending areas of interest and investments in legal tech, including e-discovery, contract management software, and cloud deployments, are the key drivers for transforming the legal industry.
The emergence of AI, Blockchain, and Analytics in the legal sector have shifted law firms to work in a well-designed process.
AI will continue to be the fastest-growing technology in the legal industry, where several AI applications already implemented in law firms. Small and medium law firms are quick in implementing AI-driven solutions when compared to larger law firms using rigid systems.
Legal Industry Leveraging Chatbots
- The legal profession heavily relies on billable hours, and hence eliminating manual tasks completed by attorneys has become critically important. Legal chatbots are helping attorneys in reducing the time spent on these tedious activities, resulting in increased efficiency and billable hours.
- Enterprise-grade chatbots are available that can rapidly scan large amounts of data in very little time and provide information on relevant laws, regulations, or past legal case histories.
- Clients expect lawyers to be available 24/7, which makes legal chatbots the most appropriate alternative to take care of the unbillable tasks. These legal chatbots could provide answers to the client’s basic legal queries and initial consultation, allowing attorneys to focus more on clients that need immediate legal advice, and further consultation that results in increasing billable hours.
- A human employee can work for a maximum of 8 to 10 hours a day, while a Legal chatbot can serve the purpose better without vacations, week-offs, or rest after a day’s work. Legal chatbots can generate legal documents, reports, legal briefs, and other legal work in a very less amount of time in comparison to an average human employee, resulting in improved productivity and billability.
- In this increasingly competitive and compliant market, law firms are under pressure to excel and comply with regulations. By focusing on providing business assistance and legal aid to the customers as well as attorneys, these chatbots are considered the most efficient way to optimize work processes in saving time and resources.
- AI-based legal chatbots offer multi-disciplinary expertise to customers as well as attorneys needed to accomplish legal work.
- The legal chatbots, assisting attorneys in searching relevant documents and legal research, which saves time for other critical issues that require their attention as well as improving the chances of addressing other billable clients.
- Conducting due diligence is one of the most monotonous and time-consuming tasks that are performed by lawyers. Chatbots have not only automated these processes but can quicken the pace so that attorneys can target other potential clients.
- Chatbots leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to perform a comprehensive investigation that includes reviewing many documents and asking plenty of questions to uncover background information and create a full report based on the answers.
Legal chatbots act as a catalyst between customers and attorneys for quick assistance in legal matters, leading to improved productivity due to its flexible and error-free nature.
KLoBot- An Approach towards Boosting Attorney’s Efficiency
KLoBot is an intelligent chatbot building process that ensures the future success of attorneys as well as law firms by helping them to meet their client requirements.
AI consulting services offered by KLoBot, support legal firms in their custom AI chatbot requirements.
Chatbots built on the KLoBot platform empower attorneys to overcome challenges associated with productivity and billability. These chatbots are not only making the jobs simple but are rather compelling due to their immediate engagement and power of conversion.
Several law firms are exploring KLoBot’s AI-enabled chatbots to automate low complexity tasks and provide instant legal advice to clients. Other than automating routine tasks, KLoBot AI chatbots are accelerating digital transformation by modernizing law firm operations.
Chatbots in the legal profession, mostly used for answering basic client queries, which allow attorneys to deal with other complex matters. However, chatbots built with KLoBot allow attorneys easy and quick access to relevant legal documents from NetDocuments using voice.