Source: Deep Learning on Medium
D4S Sunday Briefing #31
A weekly newsletter with the latest developments in Data Science and Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
Dec 29, 2019
Welcome to the Year End edition of the Sunday Briefing. This week we cap off another successful year with a trove of articles on advanced neural network architectures like LSTM, GANs, RNNs and their applications to Recommendation Systems.
Our selection of some recent academic papers includes reviews on distributed machine learning algorithms and on mining user behavior using smart phone data. Finally, the vide of the week is a wonderful debate between two leading figures in AI thinking, Yoshua Bengio and Gary Marcus.
If you think one of your friends or colleagues would enjoy this newsletter, just go ahead and forward this email to them and help us grow!
Our best sincerest wishes for a Prosperous and Successful New Year.
The D4S team
Tutorials and blog posts that came across our desk this week.
- How to Track President Trump [nytimes.com]
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care — And Could Raise Risks [scientificamerican.com]
- MSR 2019 reflection — a year of progress on technology’s toughest challenges [microsoft.com]
- A 7 Minute Introduction to LSTM [medium.com]
- Clustering Clearly Explained [towardsdatascience.com]
- 10 Categories of Deep Recommendation Systems [jameskle.com]
- Generative adversarial networks: What GANs are and how they’ve evolved [venturebeat.com]
Fresh off the press:
Some of the most interesting academic papers published recently.
- Using machine learning to predict extreme events in complex systems (Di Qi, A. J. Majda)
- A formula for the value of a stochastic game (L. Attia, M. Oliu-Barton)
- A Survey on Distributed Machine Learning (J. Verbraeken, M. Wolting, J. Katzy, J. Kloppenburg, T. Verbelen, J. S. Rellermeyer)
- Containing rumors spreading on correlated multiplex networks (J. Xian, D. Yang, L. Pan, M. Liu, W. Wang)
- Mining User Behaviour from Smartphone data, a literature review (V. Servizi, F. C. Pereira, M. K. Anderson, O. A. Nielsen)
- Explainability and Adversarial Robustness for RNNs (A. Hartl, M. Bachl, J. Fabini, T. Zseby)
Video of the week:
Interesting discussions, ideas or tutorials that came across our desk.
AI DEBATE : Yoshua Bengio | Gary Marcus
Opportunities to learn from us
- Jan 17, 2019 — Time Series for Everyone [Register]
- Jan 27, 2019 — Applied Probability Theory for Everyone [Register] 🆕
- Mar 15–16, 2019 — Time series modeling: ML and deep learning approaches — Strata/AI [Register]
Thank you for subscribing to our weekly newsletter with a quick overview of the world of Data Science and Machine Learning. Please share with your contacts to help us grow!
Publishes on Sunday.
Copyright © 2019 Data For Science, Inc, All rights reserved.
Want to receive The Sunday Briefing right in your mail box? Subscribe to our mailing list: https://data4sci.com/newsletter