Original article can be found here (source): Deep Learning on Medium
Generating Art With Artificial Intelligence Powered Applications
How good is the art generated by an AI? Find out now!
Playing chess, driving cars, cooking food. Only a few decades ago, one might have thought it to be impossible for a machine to perform such tasks. Creativity is considered to be something very unique to humans. Can AI ever truly be creative? Can AI make original art as humans can? Turns out that it can and it is pretty good at it.
In 2018 an art piece generated by an AI-based algorithm was sold for about half a million dollars. This is achieved through Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) where two models are trained simultaneously; a generative model G that captures the data distribution, and a discriminative model D that estimates the probability that a sample came from the training data rather than G. The training procedure for G is to maximize the probability of D making a mistake. That’s as much as technical we will get with this article because that is not the focus here. We are here for some fun and get to amazed by what cutting edge AI of today can do.
Let us create some art, shall we?
Researchers and developers have built quite a bunch of tools and applications that can enable anyone to easily create art using AI. We are going to explore some of those applications and experiment to see the potential of AI.
Most of these software work on the basic ground of GANs with variations of their own. With that being said, let’s get started!
This is an online application in which you can merge pictures and create a hybrid of the two. How it actually does this is based on this paper by lead author Andrew Brock. Here, we will explore the tool from an application point of view.
- The user has an option to choose the category of the picture they want to generate.
- Post that they can choose from the database and combine as many pictures they want. The results are created extremely fast.
- The image generated is based on the most prominent features of each input picture.
- The major drawback of this app is that one can not import their own work and is restricted by the database. This might lead to a mixed conclusion of the algorithm depending on memory rather than AI.
Here is some stuff we tried to generate using this tool.
Looks intriguing? Visit the below link to generate your own combination of images!
Deep Dream Generator
Ever wanted to convert your images into a dreamy sequence of pictures? This might be the tool just for you.
- Deep dream generator utilizes the base model of deep dream for its application. The main algorithm is based on the groundbreaking inceptionet paper drafted by Google, the code of which is open-sourced.
- Instead of fusing two images, a different style of the image is generated with a variation in the texture.
- You just need to upload your own image of choice, select the option for what style (deep style, thin style, or deep dream) and texture (there are quite a bunch of choices to choose from) you want to use, and then generate the new images.
- The deep dream is a direct implementation of Google’s Deep Dream which uses a convolutional neural network to find and enhance patterns in images via algorithmic pareidolia, thus creating a dream-like hallucinogenic appearance in the deliberately over-processed images.
Here is some cool stuff we have created using this tool.
Feels like some weird animals embedded into the image? Generating an image does take a couple of minutes, and there are many other settings to tinker around with. Want to give it a shot? Find out what you can generate with your images, here-
This website specializes in fusing two images together. It works on the principle of very deep convolutional networks which is an improvement of the architecture developed by Andrew Brock. The image fusion generated is of very high quality. The website has a long waiting period before your results are generated, due to its image queue. As we are allowed to choose our own pictures which set a definitive that the algorithm is doing the actual work. One even has the option of buying art on this website.
We have used the same stock photo as before to generate a new image. The results are here (and it did take quite some time)-
Check this tool out here-
This application provides a variety of options but we will be focusing mainly on their Sketch to Image feature. The software is run on GANs and high-end GPUs as claimed by their Github page.
Here’s how this works-
- You choose a texture style and then make a rough sketch of what you want to draw in their interface.
- On clicking the generate button, their program creates a bunch of images, using your sketch as the input, in the chosen style.
We have done some simple sketches, and the results are pretty impressive.