Original article can be found here (source): Artificial Intelligence on Medium
How does the ML algorithm differ from the Traditional Algorithm?
Being a subset of Artificial Intelligence, the Machine Learning algorithm identifies the patterns in data and then predicts the new data in a similar way. It helps to enable computers to understand without being evidently programmed with previous rules. However, it differs from the Traditional Algorithm whereas some input and logic have been taken in the form of code and the final outcomes will be output.
Difference between ML algorithm and Traditional Algorithm:
Machine Learning Algorithm:
In Machine Learning Algorithm, both input and output data are compiled in an algorithm and the final sequel will be a program.
In contrast to the ML algorithm, it is basically a manual process that a programmer creates a program with formulating codes and after that, some input data has to be incorporated, which substantially creates the desired output.
How do they differ from each other?
The Robust difference is that, in the Traditional algorithm, a programmer has to manually formulate a code while in ML, a final sequel that comes from the data is a program.
Well, more precisely, if you consider customer demographics and transactions as input and if the executed output is churned or not, thus the algorithm formulates a churn model.
You can generally have a profusion of input and output data and those can be fed into an algorithm to create models. Such as demographics and loan transactions are fed as input and the numbers of the defaulted loan will be the observed output, and finally, it will create a loan default model (A program).
Traditional Algorithm in an illustrative way:
However, taking a simple example, 358+287. Most people get mortified by the left-to-right answer 5/13/15.
This is due to the fact that the Traditional Algorithm taking the numbers from right to left, take a look at 8+7 first.
While adding, we never jot down 15, rather 10 dots have to be evolved right away and 5 is written on a page in the answer line together with a 1 is tucked up on to the middle column.
Now, 13 dots have been given while the addition of (5+8)
And it results in another explosion.
While writing 4 in the answer line, with another 1 kept in the next column over. This will give you an idea of the dots-and-boxes picture more accurately.
And now, the problem is finished by summing up the dots un the hundreds position.
Now you get a brief explanation about the Traditional Algorithm and how the calculation is done by using dots.
Basics of ML Algorithm:
ML algorithms are math and logic programs that whenever they are exposed to more data they automatically adjust themselves to perform better. It is mainly a set of techniques that combines the both input and output data, which leads to a program. ML focuses on the prosperity of computer programs that can access data and use it to realize for themselves. This ability of prediction helps ML to handle business situations more efficiently and accurately. If programming is automation, then ML will accelerate the process of automation.
Three key components are required to fully understand the Machine learning algorithm.
1) Representation: how to illustrate knowledge. Such as, set of rules, graphical models, support vector machines, and decision trees.
2) Evaluation: the way to assess candidate programs. Such as accuracy, squared error, likelihood, probability, margin, and cost.
3) Optimization: the process of generating candidate programs known as the search process. Such as convex optimization, combinational optimization, and constrained optimization.
Thus, the ML Algorithm= Model + Learning algorithm.
ML Vs. Traditional Algorithm:
● ML algorithm does not obey the rules provided by humans. Rather, data has been processed only in raw form- for example, emails, social media, text, video, voice, and images.
● ML algorithm is not programmed to do a task rather it is used to learn how to perform a task.
● ML algorithm is more prediction-oriented, but the traditional algorithm is more interpretation-oriented.
● In Traditional algorithms, the p-value has been given more emphasis and a structured but comprehensive model.
● Major differences are, Traditional algorithms possess a more mathematical approach whereas ML algorithms are more data-oriented.
● ML algorithms are uninterruptible, that is why they are unsuitable when an understanding of the relationship comes into place. They could work well when a prediction is only needed.
● Traditional Algorithm is a model-based on training data and assessing the model against incoming data is not efficient as the environment is in constant change.
● Whereas the ML algorithm having expensive approaches within Web-scale environments and the results are too stable to maintain with dynamically changing service environments.
A product manager may use a framework to understand the business sequels where you have the input and output data:
1) Point out the business question you want to ask.
2) Identify the input.
3) Identify the performed output.
Now if you see, demographics and bills as inputs and pay late or not as output, your machine learning thus creates the whole model.
To create a predictive model, a company needs to identify the samples for when the churn is true and when the churn is false. Thus a predictive algorithm is passing the data to create a program. This is known to be the most simplistic way to observe predictive outcomes.
The traditional algorithm needs some input and code, thus providing you an output. That is data and programs are run into a computer to generate an output. The traditional Algorithm follows the steps written in the algorithm that produces Output. Hard Code yourself Rules and generate Output are the two methods that Algorithm enter It based on.
ML algorithm needs input and output and thus provides you a logic that can be processed into new inputs to give output. ML algorithm is mainly a training process where you are learning through input. Not necessarily, all the ML algorithms are based on neural networks, pass return or Tree-based algorithms are used to solve many business use-cases.
Machine learning is more likely to do gardening or farming. Where seeds are the algorithms, data is the nutrients, and you are the gardener and plants are the programs.
There has been an effective growth in algorithmic modeling applications that happened outside the statistics community in the last two decades. Machine learning is more reliable in between Computer Scientists as it is producing more information. Instead of traditional methods, accuracy, simplicity, and prediction are in conflict.