Original article was published by Chandni Ansari on Artificial Intelligence on Medium
How Much Artificial Intelligence Engineers Make in a Year?
With 2.3 million jobs predicted for Artificial Intelligence (AI) professionals, AI has become a hot topic in the talent market. As per the Linkedin report, AI has marked itself as one of the top 15 growing jobs in the world with 74% annual growth. And because of AI’s deep dig use in every industry from IT to healthcare to banking and more, the field has reported offering high salaries (even 6 figures) and job profile satisfaction to skilled & certified AI engineers starting from the entry-level.
With increasing dependencies of automation-driven businesses for innovations like smart personal assistants, AR/VR, virtual gaming, face, speech & vision recognition, recommendation engines, etc on Artificial Intelligence and its subsets like Machine Learning, Deep Learning, NLP, the hunt for AI engineers is shooting through the roof.
Human-based AI jobs are not going anywhere, they will stay, and continue to grow and pay massive remuneration to AI engineers. Want to know how much? Let’s explore the Artificial Intelligence Engineer salary based on certain factors like:
- Years of experience
- Their different job roles
- Diverse geographical locations
- Top-tier hiring companies
So let’s get started with these factors one by one!
Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary — — As Per Years of Experience
As per Glassdoor, The average Artificial Intelligence software engineer salary in the US is $114,121 — — which can go as low as $78,000 and as high as $150,000.
AI engineers’ salaries definitely vary upon the professionals’ years of experience. 10+ years experienced AI engineers are bound to earn more than the entry-level or junior level AI engineer, but how much? Let’s find out about that.
However, The New York Times says that professionals with just a few years of experience can as well expect to earn an average salary between $300,000 and $500,000 a year (a skilled aspirant
with short work duration can earn millions pretty soon).
But one thing is clear since the demand for AI professionals is unwavering, even the entry-level aspirants can expect to earn a higher package than other IT job roles (if they manage to prove their competent skillset).
AI Salaries Based on Industry Experiences
Junior or Entry-Level AI Engineer Salary
The junior or entry-level AI engineers are composed of two kinds, first, freshers who have just got out of college and are looking for career opportunities, second, the professionals who are planning to switch between different IT careers. If both the entry-level aspirants take up a good knowledge of the AI field and its subfields via formal AI training online and plan to ace the certification exam, they can expect to earn good remuneration from the starting point.
The annual average Artificial Intelligence software engineers of mid-level can range between $78,000-$100,000.
Mid-Level AI Engineer Salary
These professionals are quite equipped and experienced in the field of AI, and have 2–8 years of experience working in AI and cognitive technologies. They earn quite higher than the entry-level professionals if they establish competent skills like:
- Data Analysis
- Data Modeling
- Deep Learning
- Computer vision
- Image/audio/visual processing
Most companies demand mid-level AI engineers. In a study, it was found that AI engineers switching companies can expect to bag a hike of 60–80%, whereas, in other IT skills, you will generally see the hike ranges between 20–30%.
The mid-level AI engineers’ salary can range between $1,00,000 to $150,580.
Senior Level Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary
When you evolve to senior-level AI talent, you get a massive paycheck as you now have extreme knowledge of the field and can help organizations build scalable and effective AI solutions. The demand for AI engineers with high salaries is in sectors like eCommerce, Finance, healthcare, Software, and more.
When you reach an experience level of 8–15 years and beyond, the annual average Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary you can expect to earn is between $150,000 to $200,000 and beyond.
Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary — — By the Different Roles they Perform
Apart from the AI engineer profile, there are 5 more popular interconnected or interchangeable profiles that companies look for hiring, to meet their Business intelligence needs. And those 5 branches reimburses great compensation as well, let’s have a look at them:
1. Machine Learning Engineer Salary
Machine Learning is one branch of AI that requires great skills around predictive models, NLP, datasets management, and a lot more. It is also one of the most in-demand career profiles and the ML engineers can expect to earn an annual average salary of $121,106.
2. Data Scientists Salary
Data Scientist is another very in-demand field that demands the knowledge of — — extraction and processing of data from large datasets via predictive analytics & machine learning models, and it requires great upskilling around top programming languages like Python and other big data tools & platforms like Hadoop and more. Data Scientists can be paid an annual average salary of around $117,345.
3. Business Intelligence Developer Salary
Business Intelligence developers have great analytical and problem-solving skills, and know-how to turn processes, tools, methods in favor of businesses to help them reduce IT costs and meet their bottom lines. The demand for MSBI or Microsoft BI Developer has soared significantly. The annual average salary MSBI developer is expected at $90,430.
4. Robotics Scientist Salary
AI has a great application in robotics science as well, the need for robotics scientists is extravagant in the field of research, healthcare, security, space, and so much more. The annual average salary of robotics Scientists is somewhere near to $83,241.
5. Research Scientist Salary
By using statistics and great logic, the research scientists’ role is to analyze, plan, reason the data, processes, or systems. They make predictions for business processes by using visual graphics like charts, graphs, tables, and more. And the role demands great understanding and application of AI and its subfields.
The annual average salary Research Scientists can expect to earn is $83,490.
Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary — — By Diverse Geographical Locations
You will find different pay scales in different cities, it is majorly because each city has a different talent gap, cost of living, expectations for skills and so many other reasons. The talent gap in the AI field is a worldwide issue and each day is gradually widening.
You will notice,
- The US has a 70% talent gap
- India has a 64% talent gap
- France has a 52% talent gap
- Germany has a 55% talent gap
- The U.K has a 52% talent gap
These talent gaps have ushered great payout opportunities for candidates. Candidates with good skills and knowledge can easily convince top-tier companies to pay heavy. If you are planning to relocate to these places, first, know how much worth of paychecks these places have for you to offer.
AI Engineer Salary in the USA
The USA with a 70% AI talent gap is planning to invest $1 billion on obtaining AI talent from wherever possible.
- The country is deliberately looking for AI talent to fill in its entry-level to senior-level AI positions. In the USA, the skilled & certified professionals after an AI training can get a handsome amount as big as $314,000 on average yearly.
- The country is set to up with 2,50,000 Data Science jobs by the year 2024.
- The top recruiters of the US like GE, Intel, Uber, Samsung, IBM, Wells Fargo, and a lot of many other recruiters are looking for professionals for AI and Machine Learning positions.
- The key US cities like NYC, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, and Washington, D.C are witnessed paying the highest salaries for AI and machine learning skills.
Machine Learning engineers top the average salary range of AI currently as per Indeed. Here are the Top Paying US cities for Machine Learning skills.
AI Engineer Salary in Canada
Canada is taking a strong & leading stance for AI development & science and is expected to invest in AI’s policy, legal implications, and framework.
There is a 1,069% growth in AI jobs within Canada since 2013, as per Indeed reports.
- In Canada, an AI specialist can expect to earn a median salary between $70,000 to $90,000 yearly. Whereas, specialists with impeccable skillset and years of experience can earn even as big as $130,000 or more on average, yearly.
- Canada affirms that AI specialists on a Senior-level are paid competitive packages and even have scope to negotiate salary as per their desire.
- A few of the big Canadian companies that are recruiting for the role of AI are — — IBM, Scotiabank, Amazon, Capital One, Royal Bank of Canada, and many others.
AI Engineer Salary in Europe
Almost every city in Europe has a shortage of AI skills, but the main cities like London, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Eindhoven, and Stockholm are few names that are excessively looking for AI skilled professionals.
- The most in-demand jobs in Europe are counted as AI and deep learning, Robotics, cloud security, Game developer, Blockchain.
- Finland is the only EU country that has initiated AI on a government level. The digital businesses of EU countries are gradually asking for government support & legal framework to implement such soaring innovations & technology in town.
- The huge talent gap in EU countries has made the companies compelled to hire AI professionals outside Europe.
In Europe, the AI engineers can expect to earn an annual average package between €31,218 and €105,059.
AI Engineer Salary in Germany
There will be a shortage of 3 million AI specialists in Germany by 2030.
- 4 out of 5 German companies say they have great difficulty in looking for AI professionals, which is somehow restricting them from advocating new machinery and innovation.
- Germany has gained around 60,000 highly-skilled professionals ever since 2012, and going forward is looking for more AI experts to help support their innovation & science.
- Germany’s talent gap isn’t getting sufficed by homegrown workforce or young Germans as their preference is somewhere else set, this is the reason why the country is looking for every means to hire professionals from global platforms.
The median salary of Artificial Intelligence Engineer in Germany ranges between €59,360 and €105,194.
Artificial Intelligence Salary in the UK
The demand for AI skills in the UK is growing massively at a triple rate from the past three years — — even more than leading countries like the US, Australia, and Canada.
- In every one million, there are around 1300 vacant AI positions advertised within the UK — — which is 20% more than the USA and 50% more than Canada.
Tara Sinclair, economist and senior fellow at Indeed say, “Britain is becoming a major hub for the AI sector, and is growing steadily in AI jobs by even outstripping the demand in major English-speaking countries”.
- The advertised AI jobs were found to offer an average of £60,000 a year and 10% top positions an average of £105,500 yearly.
- The country pays competitive salaries and even gives scope to choose and negotiate until the desired offer.
AI Engineer Salary in India
From farming to healthcare to recruitment, India has a lot of wide-open sectors for the application of AI.
- India lacks an acute shortage of homegrown workforce for AI, Machine Learning fields.
- The AI salary in Indian lifts upwards as the experience grows, the candidates with 2–4 years of experience can attract a yearly median salary package between INR 15–20 lacs (equals to $22,000–29,000), the 4–8 years can expect between INR 20–50 lacs (equals to $29,000–73,000) and 8–15 years can expect between Rs50 lacs to Rs 1 crore (equals to $73,000–147,000).
- The metro cities where AI and machine learning development is massive are Mumbai/Pune belt, Delhi NCR, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore.
- The most popular sectors where demand for AI skills and average Artificial Intelligence software engineer salary is soaring high are BFSI, IT, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Retail, banking, and more.
AI Engineer Salary — By Top-tier Hiring Companies
Top-tier companies globally are endlessly looking for AI solutions to automate, expedite, and optimize business processes for achieving an effective competitive edge. Let’s look at the top recurring companies with their average salary of Artificial Intelligence Engineer.
Top Companies Paying Highest Average Salary of Artificial Intelligence Engineer in the USA
- Google — up to $236,388 on average annually.
- Facebook — up to $257,846 on average annually.
- Walmart Labs — up to $265,698 average annually.
- Uber: up to $314,746 on average annually.
- Netflix: up to $264,799 on average annually.
Top Companies Paying Highest Average Salary of Artificial Intelligence Engineer in India
- Bosch Group (Bengaluru): INR 400,000–2,400,000 p.a
- Adobe (Greater Noida): INR 1,200,000–1,400,000 p.a
- Amazon (New Delhi): INR 500,000–700,000 p.a
- Accenture (Bengaluru): INR 600,000–800,000 p.a
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. (Hyderabad): INR 3,000,000–6,000,000 p.a
So How Should I Go About Making a Career in AI?
The top-tier companies to small scale companies are looking for AI professionals who can help them innovate & implement AI practices — to brew up their competitive edge and bring speed to business decisions & processes. Everyone facing an acute to chronic talent gap is looking for skilled & Certified AI specialists for different industries — — from healthcare to IT to banking and a lot more. And even are ready to pay the highest Artificial Intelligence software engineer salary as desired.
If the above salary breakdown has created a spark within you to join this remarkably growing AI field, then the best way to claim a career in this technology is by joining an AI Training and Certification Program online. Not just training — — an AI Certification Training that prepares for AI certifications & job work with real field experts & business projects!