Original article was published by BoTreeTechnologies on Artificial Intelligence on Medium
The Future of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Industry
Artificial Intelligence(AI) is impacting every industry, and healthcare is no exception. In fact, the patient care sector is one of the most significant benefactors of AI. Today, many clinicians and facilities are turning towards applications of AI in healthcare to improve their care delivery outcomes.
AI is radically changing in the healthcare sector. While thinking of AI in healthcare may bring images of robots and machines serving as doctors and nurses, the reality is a little different and a bit better.
Operations will always require the human touch to ensure that treatment is proper and has an emotional impact. On the other hand, the benefits of AI in healthcare relate to processing massive amounts of data and generating live-saving information along with valuable insights.
The role of AI in healthcare is majorly towards diagnosing diseases and identifying the right treatment methodology, The goal of healthcare professionals is to obtain a faster and on-time diagnosis and finding the right path that can generate better results for the patient.
One of the best examples of Artificial Intelligence in healthcare is Google’s AI program, which is 99% more accurate at detecting breast cancer than other programs. The AI analyzes mammograms and identifies the root symptoms of breast cancer.
Machine Learning, the technology behind Artificial Intelligence in healthcare, processes huge datasets to deliver insights for risk assessment, diagnosing diseases, and find the most effective treatment for patients. Hospitals and clinicians have been collecting healthcare data for decades — AI in healthcare will help in making the use of that data to achieve the best possible outcomes and reduce the difficulties of treatment.
6 useful Applications of AI in Healthcare
Today as the technology industry progresses, there are countless applications of Artificial Intelligence in healthcare. It is revolutionizing the delivery of healthcare and impacting the field of medical sciences to achieve better outcomes from research.
Here are 6 different applications of AI in healthcare examples:-
- One of the most interesting benefits of AI in the healthcare market is the usage of Brain-computer interfaces that aligns with the neurological system and allow patients to speak, hear and communicate if they have lost that ability.
- The brain-computer interfaces are supported by AI services. They help in decoding the neurological activities associated with hand movements, listening, and gestures, to help people communicate the same way as others do.
- Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare market could save millions of lives and give disabled people the ability to communicate like normal people. It is an excellent technology for people who suffer from spinal injuries and lose their ability to communicate via gestures.
- Another promising role of AI in healthcare is a medical diagnosis. Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in healthcare study tons of datasets to provide an accurate medical diagnosis before it’s too late for treatment.
- Medical imaging and scans backed by Artificial Intelligence are excellent tools to diagnose the disease at very early stages. The AI system goes through tons of images and scans of the body to identify any symptom of the disease that is being diagnosed.
- It allows the doctors to start the treatment before anything major takes place. Artificial Intelligence systems that aid in detecting cancer are becoming a life-saver for patients all over the world. They are increasingly becoming a tool to fight the disease and save more lives.
- Medical practitioners and researchers are often conducting tests and examinations for developing drugs that can help patients recover better and faster. Machine Learning in healthcare helps researchers in drug development by going through millions of data points that assess the feasibility of drugs.
- It includes identifying the best chemicals for the composition of a drug and its impact. Through Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in healthcare, researchers can prepare different compositions and test their feasibility without risking the lives of human participants.
- While conducting drug trials, Artificial Intelligence machines can also monitor the different effects of the drug on participants and gather the data to provide valuable insights into the process.
Analyzing health records
- Similar to medical diagnosis, one of the most useful applications of AI in healthcare is analyzing the health record of the patients to clinicians and doctors. By wearing smart devices and wearables, AI apps can collect health data and update them in real-time for doctors to access it and make informed decisions.
- Artificial Intelligence systems can go through a patient’s past medical history, combine it with their medical imagery and scans, and provide an accurate status of the patient’s health. It can provide information on any disease that the patient might catch in the future.
- By analyzing the health records of patients, doctors and healthcare professionals get insights on the health of their patients and the next step they should take for keeping their health in check. Robots collect, process, and provide data much faster than human researchers can.
- Artificial Intelligence has allowed healthcare professionals to deploy virtual assistants that can help them with surgery and nursing. The AI systems can improve the surgical procedures by going through the pre-operation information and providing the right path to take.
- There are robot programs that act as virtual nurses to patients who need care on a regular basis. Patients can schedule appointments, cancel them, ask common questions, and update health information for real-time access by healthcare professionals.
- The virtual nurses also provide reminders for health checkups, diet requirements, medicine reminders, and assist the patients when there is any anomaly detected. There are highly advanced AI in healthcare that can alert the healthcare facility when the patient witnesses any differential health status apart from their regular diagnosis.
- This is probably one of the newest applications of AI in the healthcare market. While hospitals are still mostly human dominant, AI applications are now taking over the reign for tasks and making care delivery smarter. Through artificial intelligence in healthcare examples, hospitals can enable medicine tracking, patient alert system, patient movement tracking, and assessing the staff performance for patients.
- One of the most significant benefits of artificial intelligence in healthcare is that it will decrease the chances of a dosage error, a common cause of potential injuries and health risks. Medical practitioners are often troubled by the wrong doses given by nurses. AI systems can help in providing accurate measurements and a proper schedule for the doses.
- Ai-enabled hospitals will also ensure that the payments, billings, and filing of formalities are done by AI systems that reduce the burden of medical staff from such mundane activities. It will leave more time for the staff to focus on activities that are directly related to patient care and outcome delivery.
How Artificial Intelligence is Helping the Healthcare Industry
You can say that this is the beginning of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare market. From robotic-assisted surgery to providing patient guidance, Artificial Intelligence will become capable of countless activities that can help doctors in making better decisions.
Now, as the technology for AI progresses and is inculcated in healthcare, medical practitioners also need to ensure that the future of AI in healthcare is not unethical. The bias and discrimination in AI systems are often talked about when considering healthcare applications. Doctors need to ensure that the proper regulations are followed, and the AI systems are in compliance with the best practices.
In the current COVID-19 situation, AI is showing tremendous potential for testing. With the pandemic, there is a need for an AI system that can help in identifying future pandemics and assist in further testing of patients. Artificial Intelligence in healthcare is turning out to be a boon as it shows in diagnosing future outbreaks so that the world can be prepared to deal with it.
Artificial Intelligence is revolutionizing the healthcare application development sector as we know it today. In the future, AI in healthcare will serve as a tool for better predictive analytics to prepare for a health crisis way ahead of time. On an individual level, the applications of AI in healthcare will multiply twofold as the technology progresses from assisting the doctors in serving patients at their bedside.
In the treatment aspect, Machine Learning solutions and Artificial Intelligence show extreme potential in identifying which patients are the most critical and those that don’t need further care. Health risks are increasing day-by-day, and there is a need for smart systems that can help professionals in minimizing those risks before it’s too late.
With the collection of massive amounts of data through wearable devices and out-patients departments, Artificial Intelligence would become inevitable to make sense of all that data. The role of artificial intelligence in the healthcare market would expand beyond generating insights and reach the level of taking actions along with the professionals.
It would also ensure that healthcare facilities reduce the errors and patients are less troubled. Service is another area which would see a major improvement in the coming years with the help of Artificial Intelligence. Robots would be deployed to reach an accident spot or critical zone of patients that require immediate attention.
They would also guide patients in the healthcare facility and ensure that the experience is world-class. Artificial Intelligence applications for healthcare are, therefore, an essential aspect of improving healthcare delivery outcomes.